Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Easy as Hell clam sauce

I make a mean white clam sauce. However I have to give credit where credit is due and tell you that I learned my base recipe watching the Ron Popeil Pasta maker commercials. It's cheap, it's easy, and it's delicious as all get out.

All you need are 2 cans of minced clams in clam juice. They sell these right above where they sell cans of tuna. I like Snows brand but have never tried one I didn't like. You also need some olive oil, a few cloves of garlic and some spices. Lightly coat the bottom of a large frying pan with olive oil and heat the oil. Mince 2-3 cloves of garlic and throw them in the oil stirring occasionally. This is when I add 4 hearty shakes of crushed red pepper for that little kick, but it's fine without that as well (coward). Once the garlic has slightly browned dump in both cans of clams with the juice and stir everything. Add some oregano and basil, I use about 1/2 teaspoon each but I've been known to go heavy on the basil. Throw in a pinch or two of salt and give the pepper grinder a few turns into the sauce as well. Reduce the heat to medium and keep stirring. To thicken the sauce just mix a little cornstarch and water together

(pause while I realize my pasta has been cooking this whole time)

Yeah, maybe a teaspoon of cornstarch with 3-4 of water, pour slowly and stir while you pour. Too much and you'll have clam jello. I do this just to thicken it up a little, I like it to stick on the pasta. Then I take my already drained pasta, turn up the heat on the sauce, and toss the two together to get the pasta nice and coated.

You can add things you have on hand like broccoli, some fresh parsley or other things if you choose. The sauce takes less than 5 minutes to cook so make sure whatever you add in there is already mostly cooked. Tonight we threw some shrimp in the mix and that was fantastic.


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am SOOO going to try this! Spaghetti and clam is a favorite, but I always just get the can with the red sauce. (Nanny, I am sorry for my sins...)

Maerdred said...

Chef Beau would be proud of you, but your presentation is a bit messy. Where's your garnish?

I may have to try it though. I've never had clam sauce. never been willing to try it.

Happy Me said...

That looks and sounds incredible! I'll have to try it sometime (when the kids aren't home)!!

toni said...

yours looks fantastic! Yup,the corn starch is a good idea. Mine was too runny when I made it years back. I'm doing it!!!