Friday, May 21, 2010

Tomorrow

On-call shifts from my work run 9am Monday-9am the following Monday. This is my week which means I'm on-call this weekend which further means I have no plans. If I make plans during an on-call weekend they inevitably get canceled and I get disappointed, frustrated and pissed off. One of the processes that runs on the machines we service run at 3am. If it fails I get a call. Errors on the machine? I get a call? Can't do something with the software your co-workers manage to do without any help at all? I get a call. Keyboard not working? I get a call. Doesn't matter what time it is, users don't care. Public safety sites need to be functional 100% of the time. They pay for the service contract so they have the right to call. On-call weeks blow.

Tomorrow is Saturday. It's supposed to be rainy and 70 degrees. What a perfect kind of day to have no plans. Actually the whole weekend is supposed to be crappy but mild. Stuck home? That's just fine by me.

There is an unwritten rule among us techs. Having a quiet week? You never talk about it until your shift is over. Actually made plans? Don't, because that lunch you order at 1pm will be ruined when your phone goes off at 1:10 and it has to become take-out. And never EVER wish other techs a quiet weekend. My boss broke the code this afternoon, and my phone rang before 7pm.

So head my words children, and though I thank you for them please keep your quiet wishes to yourself until Monday so as not to ruin my tomorrow.

Blog title from "Tomorrow" (really, did I need to say that?). Head on over to Cousin Jennifer's Blog to see what Annie lyrics she has managed to title into a blog post.

0 comments: